Wednesday 7 September 2011

writing without direction to get back to writing again

I have been doing so much travel writing lately i feel i'm losing any voice i had. Don't get me wrong travel writing is great fun, especially as it means you have to be travelling but i feel i have to keep it all regimented, up to date, in the right orderr etc. It's just not the way i operate. I've been reading lots of people's continuous travel tales and i love it, i really love the idea of just always being moving and doing new things and being in new places and i enjoy writing about it too. This post is more of an intermission so i can feel i can go back to writing travel stuff and be ready for the other things i'm planning on doing here. I've got some fun ideas actually, a couple of projects, a screenplay and a novel all in the pipeline but i tend to work without boundaries or deadlines and so much travel writing is cramping me. It's so therapeutic just to write freely (so if you're not enjoying this have a look down the page, there is targeted and driven stuff down there, this is more for me).
So here, in no order (amazing!) is some stuff i've been up to. I went to New York and discovered an interest in the homeless and how they make money. I have continued to question the existence of everything. I have read some Nabokov, some Cummings and some Le Clezio. I have missed trying new beers whilst in the states. I loved MoMA for hours and got a membership card which i will probably not use again this year. I've played cards and just relaxed with my family. I came back from Malaysia leaving my favourite hostel ever having seen some lovely scenery in the north of the country. I missed seeing a friend in New York. I enjoyed Boston and Harvard but suffered through some terrible puns on a guided stroll through the Yard. I have developed ideas on uni projects and stories. I have, thankfully, used Skype properly for the first time and then onwards. I found a really nice dive in Salem, MA which was enough to make me move to the place. I didn't move to Salem. I considered skiing in Bulgaria and made plans to make plans to suggest the idea to some friends. I have started following Zach Braff and Neal Parick-Harris on Twitter.
These are a few things i have been up to. I hope you haven't been too bored, i just needed to reset my writing, normal service will resume shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment